Monday, July 29, 2013

Brookie Weekend



I decided to spend my time this week in pursuit of the ever-lovable brook trout.  Two days were devoted to its pursuit.  I think the work paid off.

*LONG POST* Reader beware  

Friday

I found myself at a lake that has a lot of potential.  


It's a little off the beaten path, but does receive a healthy dose of anglers.  The hard part for me was not being able to float it.  You see it is a water supply lake for a city.  In other words no boating, no floating, no wading.  This really is a pity for a guy who enjoys the float tube.


The lake was swarming with brookies.  They were very visible in the crystal clear water.  No wonder this lake has a tendency to stunt.  No toads, but some fat little guys.



There were plenty of places that looked fishy.


Fallen trees scream brookie lair...and it was.



I was having the hardest time photographing fish.  They were spunky and plenty went back in the drink without getting their mugshot taken.  This lake has a lot of potential.  There very well may be some hogs hanging out, but one would have to weed through a lot of fish to find them...plus you're limited to shore here.

Pretty things though...  


Pretty place too...



On the drive home I stopped at creek not far off the road.


There's fish all over this area. Gave this one a nose piercing...


Saturday

I set my sights on a lake that required a hike, and has a history of some pigs.  The hike was a little over a mile but wasn't bad at all.  I recently picked up some backpack straps for my float tube.  I may look funny walking down the trail with a big ol' tube on my back, but man is it comfortable.  The hike provided some cool scenery.




I arrived at the lake to stormy skies and looming thunder.  I stuck myself on shore for a while until the weather cleared.  Except for a family camping further down shore, I had the lake to myself.


I was getting no love from shore, but as soon as I ventured out in the tube it was fish on.



The fish all seemed pretty healthy.


This lake is fairly large.  I'm sure some bigger fish dwell here, but I found none today.  The beauty of the fish I did catch was worth it though.  Not to mention the beauty of the lake.  I love being absolutely alone on a great lake...on a Saturday nonetheless.


The sun even started shining for a while.


Jigs won out again today.  Worms would work when needed, but the fishing was quicker with jigs.

I'll try to just let the pictures do the talking.

I love brook trout...




purty










The storms soon returned to cut my float trip short.


I quickly made my way back to shore.  The temperature was dropping fast.  I captured a few shots on my way out, but then the rain began.  Halfway through the hike back it actually tried to start snowing on me.

Even though I was cold and wet, my heart was warm and a smile was on my face.  Those little brookies sure can be addicting.



Life is short, live it well



3 comments:

  1. Nice post, ya done good. Some very nice looking water there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! You made me realize that I really need to expand my horizons...even at my age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Howard. I need to expand mine too. There's always more to learn.

      Delete